How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28814
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I (a British citizen) am in a same sex relationship with an

This answer was rated:

I (a British citizen) am in a same sex relationship with an Australian citizen. My partner currently has an H1-B visa, and we intend to marry, in New York State, very shortly. Once this is complete will my partner be able to apply for an E-3 and admit me as his spouse?
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Is your partner changing status from the H1B to the E3 after you marry?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, they would change status after the marriage.

There should be no obstacle based on the new supreme court case. Since it just came down, no DOS and USCIS have not issued any guidance yet, but there is no longer any legal basis to deny.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Judith - my primary concern is the requirement of a Marriage Certificate from the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages (an Australian body - same sex marriage is not permitted in Australia). Is this going to be an issue?

I'm not sure how the Marriage Certificate is coming from Dept of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia if they are marrying in NY?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm referring to this page:


and the "how do I demonstrate that I qualify for an E-3D (dependent) visa" section

Why are you going to AU to apply for the E-3D?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We wouldn't, we'd probably do it in either canada or the UK (assuming it has to be done outside of the US)

That was the website for the US Embassy in AU saying that a Marriage Cert from AU will not be recognized for a same sex marriage because the US does not recognize same sex marriage!
If you get married in the US then the US Embassy will recognize a US marriage certificate now based on last weeks Supreme Court ruling.
It won't matter for a Brit applying in UK for a visa that AU doesn't recognize the marriage. All that matters to get a US visa is that the US recognizes the marriage.
Judith Ludwic and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions