Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I (a British citizen) am in a same sex relationship with an

Australian citizen. My partner currently...
I (a British citizen) am in a same sex relationship with an Australian citizen. My partner currently has an H1-B visa, and we intend to marry, in New York State, very shortly. Once this is complete will my partner be able to apply for an E-3 and admit me as his spouse?
6/30/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Is your partner changing status from the H1B to the E3 after you marry?
Judith

yes, they would change status after the marriage.

There should be no obstacle based on the new supreme court case. Since it just came down, no DOS and USCIS have not issued any guidance yet, but there is no longer any legal basis to deny.
Judith

Thanks Judith - my primary concern is the requirement of a Marriage Certificate from the Department of Births, Deaths and Marriages (an Australian body - same sex marriage is not permitted in Australia). Is this going to be an issue?

I'm not sure how the Marriage Certificate is coming from Dept of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia if they are marrying in NY?

Judith

I'm referring to this page:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/e3visa/dependents.html

and the "how do I demonstrate that I qualify for an E-3D (dependent) visa" section

Why are you going to AU to apply for the E-3D?

Judith

We wouldn't, we'd probably do it in either canada or the UK (assuming it has to be done outside of the US)

That was the website for the US Embassy in AU saying that a Marriage Cert from AU will not be recognized for a same sex marriage because the US does not recognize same sex marriage!
If you get married in the US then the US Embassy will recognize a US marriage certificate now based on last weeks Supreme Court ruling.
It won't matter for a Brit applying in UK for a visa that AU doesn't recognize the marriage. All that matters to get a US visa is that the US recognizes the marriage.
Judith
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer