How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28828
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied for a I-765 application for a work permit and was

This answer was rated:

I applied for a I-765 application for a work permit and was denied. But I worked regardless. Does this mean that I have a 10 year ban now that I have been deported?

Business Imm Law :

Did you go before an immigration judge who ordered you deported?

Business Imm Law :

Hello,my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Yes, when I was underage we went before a judge who denied our case.

How old were you when the order of deportation was entered? Were you 18 years old and 180 days had lapsed since your 18th birthday?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was 16 years old when the order of deportation came in. But I was told by someone that my application for a work permit is what is causing my 10 year ban. But I wanted to know if applying for a work permit, being denied, and still working gives you a ban. I didn't know if this was true. If it doesn't, then that means my ban is because of the 2003 deportation date. In which case, I would move to argue that.


I am also out of the united states at the moment. I left before the 180 days of 2009, when I was picked up by ICE, but released.

From what I understand you were ordered deported when you were 16.
Working unlawfully is not what kicks in teh 10 year bar. The deportation is what kicks in the bar. But if you left the US before you were 18.5 years old then the bar would not apply to you, even if you were ordered deported and worked illegally.
Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could I ask one last question. I'm also applying for the I-601 because of this ban I have. Would you recommend that my husband's letter for extreme hardships be short and sweet? He has written 5 pages, but I'm not sure if this is too much for immigration.

No, NOT short and sweet.
The more hardship that is laid out the stronger the case.
Also look at this link, you want to lay out a higher level of hardship and get documentation from doctors, etc, to support it,0717-scott.shtm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great. Thanks so much for all your help, Judith. I really needed clarification on whether or not being denied a work permit and working anyway would be grounds for a 10 year ban. I will keep you on file for any further questions I may have.



Related Immigration Law Questions