How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12304
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband came to the USA when he was 21 years of age , he

This answer was rated:

My husband came to the USA when he was 21 years of age , he is now 40 , he is a Permanant Resident and has been for a little over 5yrs now and would like to apply for Citizenship. But he has now found out he was suppose to have registered with the selective service of which up until now did not know he had to since he was here illigally. Is there anything he can do to still become a Citizen?
Thank you for using this service. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. All I ask in return is that you give me a positive rating for my customer service. This is the only way I get credit for assisting you. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Please remember that the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution for your issue; unfortunately, this is something I cannot control.

Between the ages of 21 - 26, what was his immigration status in the US?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He had a temporary work permit under political assylum.


Thanks for the information.

I just realized something - he is 40 now. That means he can apply for naturalization, even if he never registered before.

The requirement to register is and failure to do so show that the person lacks the requisite good moral character to apply for naturalization. And of course eligibility for naturalization requires that a person show good moral character for the 5 years preceding application for naturalization. So if a person doesn't register, then the 5 years of good moral character starts after the age of 26. What this means is, by the time the person turns 31, if he has shown good moral character, then he is eligible to apply for naturalization. In this case, the person in question is 40, and so it has been 14 years since he was required to register. If he has maintained good moral character in the past 5 years, then he should be fine to apply for naturalization.

Although I don't believe it it required in this case, it might help if he has the following, to show that his failure was not willful and with knowledge:

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. Again, if you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further. Remember that the bottom two negative ratings are used for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you this is a big help!!!!

No problem! You can show your appreciation by rating my service to you, as well as adding a BONUS, if you feel I've earned it.