How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108637
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American citizen living in the U.S. I have a 9 year

This answer was rated:

I am an American citizen living in the U.S. I have a 9 year old daughter who was born in the U.S. Her mother was an illegal alien when our daughter was born. When my daughter was 4 years old her mother and I separated and the 2 of them went to live in Mexico. Normally, I visit her there every year, this year I want to bring her here to the U.S. for 2 weeks to visit me. Her american citizenship has not been changed in any way. I guess you could say she is in Mexico Illegally. Do you see any issues with bringing her into the U.S. and then returning to Mexico. She does have a valid U.S. passport.
Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

This sounds more like a Mexican citizen question than a U.S. Citizenship question, correct? Why hasn't the mother taken any steps to get her Mexican citizenship? I can look up Mexican citizenship laws for you, but I am not an expert on Mexican laws nor do we have any experts on that are experts on the laws of Mexico. So please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know there is no problem to return her to her mother in Mexico after her vacation. My question is do you see any problems bring her to the U.S. I know she is a citizen but she has been living out of the country for 5 years.

Actually, then no, I don't see any problem at all. U.S. Citizenship is not like U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. Lawful Permanent Residency can be lost if someone is outside of the U.S. for too long. Not so for a U.S. Citizen. So she will be perfectly fine to come into the U.S. whenever she likes and to stay outside for as long as she likes and it will have no affect at all on her status as a U.S. Citizen. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you