How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 27070
Experience:  18 years of criminal litigation experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hallo, can this story be real. Met a girl on the Internet.

This answer was rated:

Hallo, can this story be real.
Met a girl on the Internet. She´s from Canada, Studing in UK and want to travel to germany askede me to sent money for the ticket by western Union, wich I refuse and ofer a ticket booked on my miles (not refoundabel) thinking about western union trick´s.....she write the following mail down below. Is this VTA common or just another trick?

If you book the flight for me from your country, when I want to board
the airplane at the airport, I need to be with at least £ 1,000 which
is VTA (Visitors Travel Allowance). This money is not a tax that I
will have to pay, it is just like pocket money that I need to have on
me before they will allow me to travel outside the country, so that
the airport authorities can be assured that i have money of my own and
when I go to another country, i will not be a thief or a prostitute or
be desperate to do anything to get money abroad. Me having the money
will let them know that I will have money to feed myself in another
country and live comfortably without depending on anyone, however, if
the ticket is booked and paid for by me, I do not need to be with that
VTA is £ 1000. I do not have £ 1,000 for VTA if not, I will allow you
to book a flight and send the ticket to me, so I need to book a flight
by myself and pay for it here in London to avoid having to travel with
VTA so I think it is better to send the money to me so that I can make
a reservation here and get the ticket at their office to avoid having
to be with the VTA. on my last trip to Spain about 4 months ago for a
funeral, my uncle booked the flight and sent me the ticket, I could
not travel, and I was detained at the airport, and that's where they
told me about the VTA Rule, because I am not from the EU, I am from
Canada and i am only schooling in London. I had to inform my uncle
and he sent me £ 1000, before i was allowed to travel and i returned
it to him when i got to Spain, and I had to postpone my flight the
next day. Hope you understand me this time.

I am serious about meeting you, this isnt 'just a western union trick'

This IS just another "Western Union trick" and she's just trying to con you out of your money.

There is no such thing as a BTA or VTA. These "travel allowances" are not now and have never been the law in any country. They are a fiction entirely made up by internet romance scammers to get a hold of your money. I've traveled frequently in and out of the UK, most recently in April. Nobody asks for money to enter or exit. Nobody ever will. I went from the UK to Spain too while I was there. Nobody asked me for money there either.

The US Department of State writes about this fraud and warns people about them on our government website. They say:

The warning reads:

"Beware of anyone who requests funds for a BTA, or Basic Travel Allowance, as a requirement to depart another country for the United States. There is no such thing as a BTA. In other cases, your Internet friend will claim to need a travel allowance, or travel money, to be able to travel to the United States. Again, there is no such requirement under U.S. law"

It is no different leaving the UK for Germany.

Walk away from her and send her no money. The only reason she wants the cash instead of the ticket is that she will never, ever get on any plane to see you.
Zoey, JD and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions