How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29024
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a man that is a U.S. Citizen since birth and a man from

This answer was rated:

Can a man that is a U.S. Citizen since birth and a man from the Philippines with a traveling VISA get a civil union in Illinois?
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Are you asking if the partner from the Philippines would be eligible for any immigration benefits through this civil union?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The man from the Phlippines will be here on a visiting visa and we were hoping we could get a civil union in Illinois where I live before he has to go back to the Philippines, thus making it so he can come back to Illinois to be my partner and never have to return to the Philippines.
OK, you really have a two part question.
Whether the State of IL allows a non-resident to enter into a civil union - this is a family law question.
Whether the US immigration laws recognize a civil union for purposes of obtaining an immigration benefit. - this is an immigration law question.
I am not a family law expert, but I have looked up the document requirements and it appears that one does not need to be a citizen or permanent resident to enter into a Civil Union. They can provide their foreign passport and a birth certificate as evidence of their ID

Special ID requirements for marriage and
civil union licenses

One form of ID if submitting one of the following:
  • State drivers license
  • State identification
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. Armed Forces identification card

- OR -

Any combination of two of these forms of ID:
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate (English translations required for foreign certificates must be notarized)
  • U.S. naturalization certificate
  • U.S. resident alien card
  • Life insurance policy (at least 1 year old)
  • Foreign passport
  • Baptismal record (date of birth must appear)
  • Consulate identification card (matricula)

The US immigration laws do not recognize same sex civil unions, domestic partnerships or marriages for purposes of obtaining an immigration benefit based on that relationship.

That may change within the next 10 days because we are waiting for a Supreme Court decision on whether DOMA is upheld. The Court will make the ruling before it breaks for the summer.

So as of this moment, he would not be able to come back here and live based on our civil union, but we are all holding our breath because we have been fighting for recognition of same sex relationships for many years.
You can come back to me for a follow-up question in 10 days and I will be able to tell you the outcome.

Judith Ludwic and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you