Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I applied for my spouse for his green card, and because I did

I applied for my spouse for his green card, and because I did not work the last year, immigration is asking for a co-sponsor. If I can show that I have assets and a home paid for in full, will I still need a co-sponsor. And if I still need a co-sponsor can anyone sponsor or does it need to be a family member? Thank you in advance for your help.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

If I can show that I have assets and a home paid for in full, will I still need a co-sponsor.

I am afraid so. This is because USCIS wants to see that you have continuing income in many cases. Understand that the situation is subjective, but in vast majority of cases, steady continual income is mandated (unless you have a trust account that provides for you). So simply having good assets but failing to meet the I-864P may not be enough, I am afraid.

And if I still need a co-sponsor can anyone sponsor or does it need to be a family member?

Anybody can be a joint sponsor - they do not necessarily have to be a family member related to you or the alien.

If you have received an Review and Revision of Request for Evidence (RFE), it is best to provide what USCIS requires, as opposed to attempting to show that you alone can sponsor, as they may deny the visa this way if they do not get what they want.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice in several areas, including immigration

Hello,my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
I am a different expert. I have a different answer.
You may use your assets.
The instructions show that a sponsor may show assets in the form of real estate, savings or retirement accounts, brokerage accounts, etc to make up the difference in your annual shortage at a rate of 3 xs the shortage if it is a spouse petition or 5 times for other family members.
For a home you would send a copy of your deed and the tax assessment or an appraisal done by an accredited appraiser.
For accounts you would send copies of your accounts.
See page 7 #1-10
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Please also see page 5 of the I-864 which discusses this formula for the assets at the top of the page.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf
You may not need a joint sponsor since you have assets if they meet the 3xs shortage rule but a sponsor can be any US citizen or permanent resident who lives in the US. It does not have to be a relative.
Judith