How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109341
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What should I have prepared to put together a I-485 package

This answer was rated:

What should I have prepared to put together a I-485 package for my wife ?
Well, for the I-485 she already had to be in the U.S. Is she already inside of the U.S.? If not, how will she enter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is traveling with me when I change stations in July. then before the 90 days expires we are planning on filing for her change of status.

She is not supposed to use a Visa Waiver to enter the U.S. if her intention is to stay. So it is dangerous for her to do that. They may not let her in. IF she can somehow get in, then 60 days later after entry, you can file the following forms for her:

I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of you), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your U.S. Citizenship, proof of your spouse's legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents to prove your income over the last year at least.

She does not have to leave the U.S. during this process and she should NOT leave until at least the Advance Parole is approved.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, she should get a work permit and Advance Parole. About 5 to 7 months after filing you should get a marriage interview. If all goes well, a few weeks later she should get a Residency status (green card).

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you