How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109626
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on B1 visa extension now.Requested extension on the 19th of April

This answer was rated:

I am on B1 visa extension now.Requested extension on the 19th of April till the 1st of July. There is a need to prolong my extension till the 27th of July (my visa expires on the 27th of July too). What is the procedure? Should I create another application -"to extend extension"? Or I can just add additional explanation letter and "fresh" bank statement to the existing application which is still in the process of optimization according to the USCIS?
Thank you.
Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

A few questions for you (and it is the I-94 that controls the time you can stay as the visa only controls entry):

1) Were you already approved until July 1st?

2) When did you first enter the U.S.?
I am not sure why you are not responding, but I will give you the information without a response from you which makes it a little more difficult for me.

If your extension request has already been approved and you have not maxed out the total time in the U.S. of 1 years since you last entered the U.S., then you cannot ask for an additional extension. It will be dnied and you would fall out of status. If you have not maxed out your year, then you can file a new I-539 and ask for the additional time, but you cannot stay in the U.S. longer than 1 year from the date that you entered even if you have to leave without a final decision on the I-539.

If your first extension request is still pending, you can try to amend it by going to and making an appointment to speak with an immigration officer and explain the situation and they might be able help you.

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!


Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you