Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

applied for permanent green card in April. Went to biometric

applied for permanent green card...
applied for permanent green card in April. Went to biometric appt in June. Have not heard anything back yet and would like to travel out of the country. However Conditional green card expires July 10. What should we do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2013
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello. Did you receive the I-797 receipt for the I-751 that you filed? When did you receive that receipt?

Yes I received the receipt letter May 23. then they sent the biometeric letter shortly after.

Well, that receipt letter says on it that the card is extended for 12 months and allows work and travel during that time. So until May 23rd 2014, travel and work is allowed. When traveling, just take the green card and that I-797 receipt and that is all that is needed. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.

What happens if they need another appointment of information while we are traveling? and we miss the deadline to give it to them? We will travel for about 3 months. Should we try to inform immigration that we are traveling?

You should have someone check your mail on a regular basis. IF something comes in, you may have to have to come back to respond or you may have to hire an attorney to respond for you. But don't worry too much about that. I just received a Request For Evidence (RFE) for some clients that we also filed an I-751 for them and they have from May 6th until August 1st to reply. That's 84 days! So unless an RFE comes in your 1st week of travel, you should be ok. Hopefully it will not be an issue, but if it becomes an issue, at least you know what to do. Please do not forget to rate me positively. Since I am not paid a salary, it is the only way that I get paid. You are not charged again and I will not abandon you after you rate me positively if you have additional questions. Thank you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.