How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109313
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello -- would appreciate your assistance. Can someone with

Customer Question

Hello -- would appreciate your assistance. Can someone with a valid employment authorization card who received political asylum to the US travel to the US Virgin Islands and be able to re-enter the mainland US freely?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

Did the person actually receive an approval of Asylum or did they apply and are waiting for a hearing/approval?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I believe he has political asylum. I am calling to confirm and will let you know ASAP.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I will be here. Thank you.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I will assume that he was granted Asylum. He can travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands with just an ID. It is a domestic flight. But he needs to be careful because if he was not granted Asylum, and the plane is diverted to a location that is no a U.S. territory, he could have an issue. Since he most likely does not have a passport, he can apply for a Travel Document which is similar to a passport and that is done on form I-131. Here is a link:

With that document, he should have no issue traveling as long as he has already been granted Asylum. If he has not, then he should not travel. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance.Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge.If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!