How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109664
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We run trade shows in Canada for the last 10 years and we are

This answer was rated:

We run trade shows in Canada for the last 10 years and we are interested in running 1-2 shows in the USA. We would have to move there pretty much full time to get the shows off the ground and working. We would hire 1-2 staff and for the month of the shows we would hire 15-25 people. We would incorporate a company in the US as well. What would we need to do to be able to do this as per a visa or other requirements ???
Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

Do you own a business outside of the U.S. for 1 year or more?

How much money will you invest in the U.S. business?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, we have owned the business for 10 years in Canada.


The budget for a show would be between $150,000 & 200,000 per show and we would attract 20,000 plus attendees over 3 days. and would sell out 6-8 hotels at minimum.

Then the best visa would probably be the L-1A. You should invest $100,000 or more in an active business but the $100,000 or more cannot just be sitting in a bank account. It has to be invested and at risk. You must also continue to run the business outside of the U.S. as well. Here is an official link:

If you can hold on to the L-1A visa for a few years, you can get apply for a Lawful Permanent Residency status. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you