Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My friend had a hearing on June 10th this past Monday, it was

My friend had a hearing on June 10th this past Monday, it was supposed to be for asylum but they held that off since the prosecutor decided to consider Prosecutorial Discretion to get him released from detention. My lawyer said this is a solid way of getting the alien released in order to pursue a green card via adjustment of status from his wife who just turned citizen. Can you please explain to me what PD is and how it works? Will this get him out? He is being detained in Newark, New Jersey for immigration fraud. Now that his wife is naturalized, what options does he have to grant his release?
Hello again. Yes, this would get him released and would close the removal case so that they do not deport him. Here is an official link:

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/secure-communities/pdf/prosecutorial-discretion-memo.pdf

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. And don't forget that bonuses are always appreciated! Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok thank your for the link, but can you tell me how long this process of approval of PD takes until the alien is released from custody? So far it has been a week and half and the Deputy Director gave his approval 3 days ago, but my friend is still in custody.

I don't think it should take more than a week or two. It costs the U.S. money to detain someone and they don't want to do that if it isn't necessary. Let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!