How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28930
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 13 yrs old nephew who would like to continue his education

This answer was rated:

I have a 13 yrs old nephew who would like to continue his education in the states. What are the options for him. What are the requirments for a student visa?
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
Your nephew would need to go to a school either public or private that has the ability to issue a SEVIS I-20 Student Eligibility Verification form which is required for a student (F1) visa.
You can look for schools in the cities near you to see what schools have obtained SEVIS certification.
Here is a link to finding schools

He can only go to HS for one year and would have to reimburse the school district for the cost of the education.
Here is a helpful link on the process, step by step once you find a school

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your reply. You said he can only go to high school for one year? Only one??
Will he be able to get a scolarship if he lets say is an athelete, or if hegets high score/marks to go to university in the states after high school, or he cannot continue his edication in the states after high school?
My apologies. He may only go to PUBLIC HS for one year. He would then have to transfer to a private school.
He could not get a scholarship from the public school district but if a private HS offers him one there is no prohibition from that.
He may continue his post secondary education here in the US. There are strict eligibility requirements for scholarships and grants and the universities would have to advise you on what the restrictions are for foreign students.
The rules on that are established by the Dept of Education, not immigration.

Judith Ludwic and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you