How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109008
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Live in US, from UK, need to leave I-94 want to go other than

This answer was rated:

Live in US, from UK, need to leave I-94 want to go other than Europe. Suggestions. Nearer the better.

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

You have an I-94 from what status? How are you living in the U.S.? Are you just on an ESTA Visa Waiver and you are looking to "reset" the time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are on a E2 visa, Issued Feb 2012 for 5 years. we have to also leave every 2 years to get our I-94 Have to go before Feb 2014. I have 50th birthday in October, would like to go away, plus getting our stamp at same time. Save money.

When you did the cruise to the Bahamas, what steps did you take? Did you go to the U.S. Embassy there? Who was it that told you it was a gray area? The CBP officer at the Port of Entry or a USCIS officer at the U.S. Embassy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They were not going to let us on the ship., Said we could go on but couldn't guarantee they would not make us fly home when we came back, because we left it to last minute our I-94 would of run out, while on the trip.I said i would not go, wouldn.t enjoy it knowing they might chuck us out when we got back. They got a official to come and see us, he said we can go, they would make sure there would be no problem, when we came back. but never to do it again. So now we want to fly. But I want to know we will be safe, no hassle when we come back. So I am looking for list of places we can be guaranteed acceptable. I know we would get back in the Us, if we go October, because our I-94 will not have exspired. I do not want to have to leave again, we cannot afford both trips.

That seems very strange to me. So during that trip you were not able to renew your actual visa, correct? And they gave you a new I-94? Until when?

And I hope you know that there are no guarantees in U.S. immigration law, so even if you went to the UK, there is no guarantee of renewal. I mean there should not be a problem, but there is no guarantee.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes understand no guarantee, no we have our visa no problem. This trip we made was in between our last visa. Now it has come round again, I dont want to do the Uk trip, been done it, want a nice family holiday, our son has to come with us. But we cannot afford to do the family holiday. If we dont get our I-94 stamp because we will still have to do the Uk trip. Which as you say is no guarantee, but is the best route. But want to see other parts of the world, not just England.

Ok, but just to make sure, how did you get your current visa? You went to the UK to get it? I'm probably not going to have good news for you, so please do not shoot the messenger. I mean you have a possibility, but not a probability.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes did the US embassy in London. Flights, Attorneys, plus catching up with family it ends up costing us around $10.000. we dont need to do that ubtill 2017 but in between we have to have 2 trip out of the country. Would love to go somewhere else.

Well, if your visa is still valid, you can TRY to go to any country outside of the U.S. and make an appointment to renew your E visa in that U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but there is no guarantee that they will take you. They often decline and will tell you to go to London. Cases where other U.S. Embassies or Consulates do take visa renewals are usually because of some emergency or urgent reason, not because it is convenient or cheaper to do so. So like I said, you have a possibility, not a probability. So IF you are going to try it, you should have enough time on your current visa remaining to be able to come back in case they decline to process your case. Of course, you would also lose any fees that you paid to process the case. But at least it would be cheaper than spending $10,000. I wish I had better news for you, but this is common for the U.S. Embassies or Consulates to decline to process cases of persons that do not reside in that country and are just visiting. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you