How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109307
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am currently in the US on a J1 Visa. I did however

This answer was rated:


I am currently in the US on a J1 Visa. I did however apply to a H1b. I obtained the approval and the I-94 in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Same scenario for my wife. She went back to Mexico a couple of days ago and her return is schedule on June 25th (our H1b is suppose to start on July 1st). My questions are:

1) Can she still travel back with her J1 given that H1b does not start until the 1st day of July or is it necessary to obtain the H1b stamp now?

2) Are we entitled to automatic revalidation because she was there for less than a month?

Thank you

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

1) If she will continue to meet the requirements of her J-1 status until July 1st and she comes back before July 1st, then yes, she can use the J-1 visa to come back and does not need the H-1B stamp.

2) It seems that she would qualify, but just to make sure, here is the official link:


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


What are those requirements?



Generally that she continue to be employed by the J-1 sponsor. In other words, she can't just come back in on J status and sit around for her H-1B to kick in. She has to maintain her J-1 status until she starts work in the H-1B status.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I was probably not very clear. I am on J1, so she is my dependent (j2) is it still the same scenario?

That makes more sense. Then as long as you maintain your J-1 status, she can come back on the J-2 and in that case she can wait around until her H-1B kicks in.