How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask retireddebra Your Own Question
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 101418
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
retireddebra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the quickest way to receive permanent residency for

This answer was rated:

What is the quickest way to receive permanent residency for a Spouse who is Canadian to the United States of America? In addition what form to fill and should I hire a lawyer?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The way this works is that the sponsorship application and the permanent resident application go in together. Once your spouse is approved as a sponsor your application will be processed.

Your spouse will need to undergo medical, background and criminal checks.

Here is the link to the webpage that has all the information and forms:

It makes sense to retain an immigration lawyer if possible.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 101418
retireddebra and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You say submit the sponsorship application and the permanent resident application together. There are 2 forms on the USCIS, i.e Petition
for Alien Relative
I-130 and Application
to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
I-485. These 2 forms are under the category Green Card for a Family Member of a U.S. Citizen. Which one to fill?


I am willing to do this myself or at least weigh out the advantages and disadvantages.

My answer is about the law in Canada and about applying to sponsor your spouse for permanent residency status in Canada.

If this is about the US law the question was placed on the wrong list.

Should I move it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The question was specifically geared towards US permanent residency.

The latter of my question ended " to the United States of America?".

It was evidently clear.

If you cannot answer then please retract this question from your list.


I will ask the site to move this to the US immigration law list.

Hello,my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
I'm sorry about the prior confusion. I am a US immigration law expert.

Experts are only compensated for their answer if rated. I note you rated the previous expert who gave you Canada law information. I am happy to give you information regarding US law, and assume you are willing to give me a positive rating if you my answers give you the information you are looking for.
Is your spouse in the US and if yes, what status did they enter with?