Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have a job offer from a small company in San Francisco. Currently

I have a job offer from a small company in San Francisco. Currently they only have one person( Owner) working in U.S and rest of the 20 or so employees work for a sister company offshore.

I am currently on H-1B . Can the company do my H-1B transfer without any hickups. They are ready to follow the necessary steps.If they do file my H-1B and for some reason it gets rejected does it mean I am out of status or can I continue working for my current employer and my H1B with my current employer will still be valid?

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

QUESTION: Can the company do my H-1B transfer without any hickups.

ANSWER: IF the position is the same or similar to the original position, then the new company can easily do an H`1B transfer/extension on your behalf. They would need to get a new LCA from the Department of Labor, and submit a petition for H1B on your behalf.

QUESTION: If they do file my H-1B and for some reason it gets rejected does it mean I am out of status or can I continue working for my current employer and my H1B with my current employer will still be valid?

ANSWER: If the transfer is denied, you can continue with the old employer. But if you have left the original employer, then they will have to pay you back pay in order for you to remain in lawful status.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!