Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Im a permanent resident. Ive a 10-year permanent residency

I'm a permanent resident....
I'm a permanent resident. I've a 10-year permanent residency card but it is expired already. If I don't have a chance to get a stamp before I leave the U.S., can I still come back to the states without any issue? I will only be gone for a few weeks.
6/5/2013
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response
: Unfortunately, no. You would need your unexpired Green Card to enter the country. Without it, you may not be allowed back in as your valid Green Card serves as proof of your identity, your right to reside in the country, and your ability to travel. If it has expired, it may be difficult for you to prove that you are still allowed to reside in the country permanently. So, I would not take the chance of leaving the country without a new Green Card if I were you.

You can click the links below for more information and to apply for renewal:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=8ae33a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextoid=8ae33a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/B2en.pdf

How about if I renew it now and I can get a stamp from a local USCIS before I leave?

I am sorry, I do not understand your question. Could you review your question, correct and resubmit?

"How about if I renew it now and I can get a stamp from a local USCIS before I leave?"

I'm going to file i-90 now to renew my permanent residency. I can do it online in 30 minutes. I was told that I could get a stamp from USCIS to ensure that I can come back? I know that just because my card expires does not mean that my PR status will expire. It shall stay the same.

I found this online. Is this NOT correct?

Re-Entry on Expired Green Card? Generally, yes.

September 28th, 2010 · No Comments

Most Permanent Resident Cards, commonly known as “Green Cards” (Form I-551), currently in circulation, have an expiration date and are required to be renewed every ten years. This enables the U.S. government to improve the quality of the card and make it less susceptible to fraud/forgery.

According to the DHS’ Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Permanent Residents who have an expired ten-year Card (Form I-551) and are presently outside the U.S. may STILL enter the U.S. without the issuance of a transportation letter provided they have not been absent from the U.S. for more than 180 days.

Please be advised that lawful permanent residents with an expiring/expired Permanent Resident Cards do not lose their legal status in the United States – their lawful permanent resident status does not expire or change. Think of it as an expiring passport (an expiring passport does not change or affect your nationality/citizenship.).

However, they should renew their expiring Permanent Resident Cards in order to maintain acceptable evidence of their permanent resident status and avoid possible difficulties in obtaining employment, benefits, and re-entry into the United States after traveling abroad.

Transportation Companies are authorized to permit boarding of any bona fide Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) in possession of an expired Permanent Resident Card with a ten-year expiration date and who has not been absent from the U.S. for more than 180 days, if the expiration date on the card is the only reason that the LPR would otherwise not be boarded.

Airlines are to permit boarding without any penalty to the LPR. However, Carriers must be informed that this policy does not apply to Conditional Permanent Resident cardholders. CR-card holders must contact the nearest U.S. Consulate with a DHS-office prior to making travel arrangements to the United States.

It is correct, but it also confirms my previous response.

You can get your passport stamped at a local office.

So what should I do now sir? Can you tell me step by step? I pretty much have to leave a couple days from now. Thanks again and I don't mean to bother you for so long.

Response: There is no bother. I am here to assist any way that I can.

You should proceed to apply for renewal online as planned. Then go to your local office to see if you can obtain a stamp. If for some reason you are not able to get to your local office or obtain a stamp, then you can use evidence of your application for renewal to give to the authorities, if requested. The preference is always to travel with unexpired Identification Cards.

Safe Journey,

One last quick question. I can file i-90 to renew it online. In case I cannot get a stamp from a local USCIS, do I need o do anything else from foreign embassy? Do I need to get something like letter of transportation? I really believe my PR residency is still valid.

One last quick question. I can file i-90 to renew it online. In case I cannot get a stamp from a local USCIS, do I need o do anything else from foreign embassy?

Response 1: No, you do not, but make sure that you have a printout of your renewal receipt with you.

Do I need to get something like letter of transportation? I really believe my PR residency is still valid.

Response 2
: No, you do not.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law