How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen. I want to file a I-130 form for my mother

This answer was rated:

I am a US citizen. I want to file a I-130 form for my mother to come to America. She had overstayed her visa about 22 years ago, which makes her passed the the 10 years ban. She had left the country on her own without deportation, removal or anything like that. My question is on the I-130 form, question 16 "Has your relative ever been under immigration proceedings?" what should i put, no or yes? And if the answer is yes, what box should I check (removal, exclusion/deportation, rescission, proceedings).
You would check "no" for question number 16 because your mother has never been in immigration proceedings. Merely overstaying a visa is not considered to be immigration proceedings.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Wilton A. Person and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, can I ask another question? If yes, here is it, can i include my 3 sisters on the same form who are all under the age of 21 if i file today. if so, in first box, "I am filing this petition for my:.." can check both the parent and brother/sister box? or am I allowed only to check one.


Many thanks

Yes, you can ask follow-up questions. Unfortunately, "no" because you would need a separate I-130 for each family member.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


You are welcome.

Related Immigration Law Questions