Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I was admitted to the US as a permanent resident and later

deported for an aggravated felony...
I was admitted to the US as a permanent resident and later deported for an aggravated felony (selling cocaine) in 1999. I was 18 when I got the offence. I have since live in Guyana as a model citizen and take care of a family. I got a degree and has been an accountant for some time. Can I return to the US on any grounds after a great turn around and being out the US for over 13 years.
5/18/2013
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.

Unfortunately, unless the law changes, you will never be able to get Lawful Permanent Residency in the U.S. There are 4 things in U.S. immigration law that have no forgiveness, that not even a U.S. Presidential pardon works, and those are fraud marriage, false claim to U.S. Citizenship, money laundering and trafficking of a controlled substance. They do not even need a conviction, all they need is "reason to believe" that you were involved in or benefited from any type of drug trafficking.

Here is a link:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86950.pdf

IF you were to somehow get a pardon or a vacature of the conviction (sealing or expunging does not work), and IF you were to convince an immigration judge or consular officer that you were not involved in drug trafficking and IF you had a way to immigrate, like being married to a U.S. Citizen, then you MIGHT be able to come back to the U.S. to live. It would be a long and expensive road and you would need a VERY good attorney to help you. You can try to find one at http://www.ailalawyer.com/. I am truly sorry.

If you just want to visit, you would have to file for a B-2 visa which can be found here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html

And you would need a 212(d)(3) waiver which can either be done by the immigration officer at the interview or after just on their computer (take a look at this link):

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87150.pdf

or on on form I-192 which can be found at www.uscis.gov/forms. You can find more information here:

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2003,0930-labrie.shtm

Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Ok your response is detailed and excellent because it it fills in the gaps on what I was already told and read for myself. So what would be the maximum time I could get on a visitors visa. To be honest, I dont really want to live in the US again, but visiting would be go to see my family.
6 months with one 6 month extension, max.
Final questions. First, If I am able to get the visitor's visa, will i be able to apply for a second or third one (after the the initial 6 or 12 months expire)etc without applying for the waiver over and over again?

If I can, will I be able to get more time on subsequent applications?

Do I need an attorney to file for these visits, and if so, do you prepare applications etc?

If you get the visa, they can grant it for 10 years. But you will need the waiver each time you enter. So you have to apply for a new waiver each time you want to come to the U.S.

I would recommend an attorney, yes.

Ok the last Question; I want you to handle the application process for me, what is your cost, time frame, and documents I need to get to you if you are taking the job?
Unfortunately, I cannot. It is against Just Answer policy for their experts to represent a customer directly. Basically, I would get in trouble if I did that and could be ejected from the site. You can look for an attorney at www.ailalawyer.com. The cost could be between $1000 to $3000 or so in attorney fees and the time that it would take is probably (rough estimate) 3 to 6 months or so.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.