Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

If I bring a Russian woman to the USA on a K-1 visa and marry

her, how long must she...
If I bring a Russian woman to the USA on a K-1 visa and marry her, how long must she wait before she can visit Russia? Does it require a visa from Russia? Anything else? I assume she can have dual-citizenship, yes?
What is required of her to begin working in the US once she is my wife? BTW, in regards XXXXX XXXXX prior question that you answered for me, a Russian friend told me a man got his Russian girlfriend into the US by booking her on a group tour to NYC and DC...which she did not even end up visiting. Thanks.
5/8/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

how long must she wait before she can visit Russia?

After you marry her and file the paperwork it takes approximately 90-120 days for her to get her Advance Parole which allows her to travel.

Does it require a visa from Russia?

No because she is a Russian citizen and has a Russian passport.

Anything else?

She has to have the advance parole from the USCIS to be able to come back here.

I assume she can have dual-citizenship, yes?

She has to be a permanent resident first for at least 3 years before she can apply for US citizenship.

US allows dual citizenship. I do not know Russian law.
What is required of her to begin working in the US once she is my wife?

She files for her work permit and advance parole to travel when she files for her adjustment of status to become a permanent resident.

BTW, in regards XXXXX XXXXX prior question that you answered for me, a Russian friend told me a man got his Russian girlfriend into the US by booking her on a group tour to NYC and DC...which she did not even end up visiting.

Yes, many Russian women book tours as a way of coming to the US. It is fraud if they don't meet the tour group. If USCIS finds out she did not join the tour they can deny her the right to live here because of a lie.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer