Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Hello. I would like to know if somebody with a pending trial

Hello. I would like to know...
Hello.

I would like to know if somebody with a pending trial in his country and who has participated in the US US Green Card Lottery can enter the US as a resident?
5/8/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.
What is the person charged with - what crime?
Judith
Hello. Still here. What if he has stolen a car and had a gun with him?
Unfortunately that is what is called a crime involving moral turpitude and he has to provide a police clearance from his country. That arrest will show up.
The US consul will not issue him a visa without the matter being resolved and him found not guilty or the charges dropped.
If this was a minor misdemeanor that would be different, but this may even be considered an aggravated felony.
Judith
So, he cannot even come under a student visa?

What if he has already been arrested and been in jail for a few months and is waiting for another trial?

He would not be issued any visa to come to the US until he resolves this matter either through a not guilty verdict or the charges are dropped.
The US will not take any chance with him until he clears his name.
Judith
Ok, thanks.
You are welcome. Thank you for using JA.
Judith
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer