Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

i485 approved... i130 not yet

I'm a USA citizen applying...

I'm a USA citizen applying for green card for my spouse. We went for our interview with USCIS and the officer told us that we will get their decision by mail within 90days.

Today, I checked my USCIS case number XXXXX said that my i485 has been approved and card is being in production. However, my i130 status hasn't changed to approved yet, so what does this mean? My i130 still have the interview status. Have they approved my wife for green card?

5/8/2013
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

How long ago was the application filed and how long ago was the interview completed?

We filed on Feb 1, 2013. Our interview was May 6, 2013.

My i-485 status: On May 8, 2013, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.

My i-130 status: On February 4, 2013, we received this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or contact our customer service center at 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Hi Jack,

Congratulations! Your wife's I-485 has been approved and she should receive her green card short order.

Sometimes, the system simply is not updated. But the fact that the I-485 was approved and the green card is issued mean that the I-130 also has been approved. The I-485 cannot be approved unless the I-130 is approved, so you can assume that this is the case. I would not be concerned about this - it is simply a failure on the part of the system to update the records to reflect the current situation. T be sure, this is not an uncommon occurrence.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer