How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12056
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a permanent resident from France for years, 68 years old,

This answer was rated:

I'm a permanent resident from France for years, 68 years old, live with my son born in the US, my social security benefits are about $9000/year so a filing with the IRS is not required. In order to become naturalized three years of Income Tax filing are required. What is the solution for me considering I can't produce the three last years of filing?
Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

The requirement is that you have fulfilled your required tax obligations. On the N-400, it asks if you have failed to file "required" tax returns. And since you were not required to file a return for any of those years, you did not "fail to file required" returns. Therefore, you will not be required to provide any tax returns.

The checklist you probably are referring to is for general use, and covers every situation that might exist, even if it might not apply in your specific case.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions