How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12191
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am marrying a Filipina later in the summer. I have no idea

This answer was rated:

I am marrying a Filipina later in the summer. I have no idea where to start I am overwhelmed with the process to bring her to America. I need help with where to start the process, what forms and documents do I need to bring and what is the fastest way to get her to America? if u could chat or call that would be great. I am looking for a detailed step by step answer if possible. Like step 1, then the next step and so on and so forth
Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

If you are getting married in the Philippines, there is a 3 step process:

Step 1: After marriage, you will return to the US and start the family based immigrant petition process by filing form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on her behalf. The fee is $420. This will be processed in the US and will take approximately 4 to 5 months.

Step 2: Once the I-130 is approved, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. You will be asked to submit form I-864, Affidavit of Support with the fee of $88. You and she will be instructed to complete form DS-260, Immigrant Visa Application with the fee of $230.

Step 3: Once the NVC finishes its processing, the case will be forwarded to the US consulate or Embassy where your wife lives. She will be asked to schedule an interview, and instructed to undergo a Medical Examination with a civil surgeon. She will turn in form I-693, Medical Examination, to the examining physician. He will return it to her in a sealed envelope that should not be opened until she is instructed otherwise. Once the visa application is adjudicated by the US consulate and she is approved, she will be eligible to travel to the US. When she enters, she will do so as a permanent resident, and should receive her green card within 4 to 6 weeks.

Generally, the entire process takes approximately 8 to 10 months.

Now with the I-130, you should provide the following documentation:
- Fee
- marriage certificate
- proof of USC status as USC
- divorce decrees or death certificates from previous spouses, if applicable
- birth certificate for alien
- birth certificate for USC
- proof of bona fide, good faith marriage (photos of you together with family, friends, etc., letters from family attesting to the validity and realness of the marriage, copy of wedding invitation, etc. Anything that would indicate that you are in a real relationship is useful for this purpose)
- G-325A for USC
- G-325A for alien
- passport photos for USC
- passport photos for alien

As for all of the other forms, the attached instructions or instructions from the NVC or US consulate will provide guidance on what supporting documents are required.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you