Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Hello,my name is XXXXX XXXXX my question is, Im from Spain and

Hello,my name is XXXXX XXXXX...
Hello,my name is XXXXX XXXXX my question is, I'm from Spain and i came to the US in 1999 on a tourist visa to be with my girlfriend (also from Spain),she was finishing her collage here in the US but three months into leaving with my Girlfriend we broke up,I didn't wanna go back to Spain heart broken so i decided to stay so i renewed my visa a couple times here with a lawyer but it was pretty expensive,so when my 6 month stay was due i didn't have the money for a lawyer anymore so i overstayed my visa and have been living here since 1999 so is there anyway i could get residency in the US,i also pay taxes a couple times of couple jobs i had with a tax number from the Goverment, but now i'm just getting paid under the table,i wist to stay in the US and be legal,thank you for your help.
5/8/2013
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

Was an immigrant petition or a labor certification ever filed for you with the USCIS or the Department of Labor, before April 30, 2001?

Have you married a US citizen since you came to the US?

The answer to both questions would be NO and i have no kids either

Hi Nelu,

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't have very good news for you. Please remember that I am only here to provide you with honest information, with which you hopefully can make a decision about your next steps to take. I cannot control the outcome of the law, as I do not work for the US government.

In your case, there is no way for you to become legal at this point, without either marrying a US citizen, or leaving the US and getting a new visa to come back to the US to live and work, or to wait in the US (illegally) until the law changes to help someone in your situation. You should note that the US congress is now discussing immigration issues and law changes that might help you. No law has been written or even proposed, so I can't really say what any new laws might provide and when they will be in place.

Now, the problem with leaving the US at this point is that you've been in the US unlawfully for at least 1 year, which means that if you are deported or otherwise leave the US voluntarily, you will not be eligible to return to the US for at least 10 years, unless you can get a waiver to return. And waivers are extremely difficult to get approved, especially in a situation such as yours, where you've been in the US illegally for more than 10 years. The US government will know that you are likely to overstay again, and so it will be very difficult to get approval of another visa.

I'm very sorry about the information I'm providing you, even though you probably knew already that you would have a problem getting legal again. I know it is not what you wanted to hear, but it is the honest truth of the situation you are in at this time. Again, I'm very sorry.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

i was expecting an answer like this so no worries,just one more question,is it possible for me to air travel within the US with my Spanish passport?

Nelu,

Generally, yes. However in rare cases, some airline companies check your documentation to determine if you are in the US legally, and they can and sometimes do deny travel. They also may - although very rare - notify the immigration authorities.

But technically, the law does not prohibit you from traveling domestically within the US.

Thank you!
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer