How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12185
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I continue working while renewing my permanent resident

This answer was rated:

Can I continue working while renewing my permanent resident card? What do I need to present to my employer?

Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

When a green card expires, it does not mean that you have lost your status as a permanent resident. It only means that you no longer have valid proof of this status, but the status remains intact.

In order to show that you are in the US lawfully, you can provide the receipt notice for the I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. It does not mean that you have valid proof of permanent resident status, but it shows that you are in authorized stay.

Now an even better solution is to make an InfoPass appointment at the nearest local USCIS office, to request an I-551 stamp. This is valid proof of your permanent resident status, and can be used for employment and travel purposes. It is valid for up to 1 year at a time. You can make the InfoPass appointment here:

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!

Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you