Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

hello my mother is 68 years of age she has had green card for

16 years , can i...
hello my mother is 68 years of age she has had green card for 16 years , can i apply for citizenship for her and get her to skip english test , as i applied for her before and she failed test and that was about 6 years ago, so now since she has been a resident for over 15 years she can skip english test but not civics is that correct
5/7/2013
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Yes.

She would fall under the 55/15 exception.

English Language Exemptions

You Are Exempt From The English Language Requirement, But Are Still Required To Take The Civics Test If You Are:

• Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years (commonly referred to as the "50/20" exception).
    OR
  • Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years (commonly referred to as the "55/15" exception).

There is a place on the N-400 where she will ask to take the test in her native language.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer