How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HI.My dad work for the world bank and I came in the US with

This answer was rated:

HI.My dad work for the world bank and I came in the US with a G4 visa.sine he was there I attended to my college and I am still pursuing my courses.Recently he has been sent to another country but I decided to stay and finish my studies.Now I would like to change my G4 visa to a F1 visa.Could I do so at my current college without leaving the US?Thank you
Thank you for your question. As long as your father has a G-1 visa status, you would have G-4 visa status. However, once your father no longer has G-1 visa status, you would not have G-4 visa status and would be required to leave the United States or be considered to have overstayed your visa.

Assuming that your father still has G-1 visa status, you would be eligible to apply for a change of status from G-4 to F-1 student visa status using USCIS form I-539 if the school that you are attending issues I-20s and you will be attending on a full-time basis.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

which means I only have to apply for the I-20 at my school?And as soon as the school issues the I-20s I will be then eligible to obtain the F1 visa?

Also will it happen to my school to not give me the I-20?

Yes, the school would need to issue you the I-20 to be included with your I-539 change of status application. It is generally recommended to have an attorney assist you.

If the school does not issue you an I-20, you could need to find another school to issue an I-20 or you not be eligible for the F-1.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

And clearly I do not have to leave the country for that.

Do you know where I could find an appropriate attorney for that purpose?Again do you know approximatively how long it takes?

That is correct. You can use your attorney referral for the New York state bar or the American Immigration Lawyers Association referral with the links below:
Wilton A. Person and 3 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you


You are welcome.