How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29025
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HI I have a brother in law in Mexico he is 15yrs old and my

Customer Question

HI I have a brother in law in Mexico he is 15yrs old and my husband and I would like to get his gradianship or possibley adopt him what is the process for us doing this would that be an immigration law question or a question for family law
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 4 years ago.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

This is an immigration law question because the adoption must take place in Mexico according to USCIS law and Mexican law.

Adoption is a very difficult process if you are doing it and need or want to have the adoptee obtain immigration benefits.

There are 3 primary laws that have to be met to have a child eligible for immigration benefits.

The adoptive parents must meet the laws of the country, they must file for permission from USCIS to adopt the child, including showing the necessary home studies, and you have to meet the laws of the Hague convention which require that the child is an orphan under the laws of the country.

Here is the Dept of State link to the adoption process in Mexico. You should find it helpful as a starting point.