How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109310
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX law Im currently

This answer was rated:

My question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX law
I'm currently an international student in the united states on an F-1 visa and this summer I'll be going back home to apply for another f-1 since I will be switching universities.
However, this year I was arrested for minor in possession of alcohol and given a citation to appear before court.

I got a lawyer and he told me to just do 15 hours of community service and he will get the judge to dismiss the case without a diversion program or anything.

So when I reapply for an F-1 visa will that cause any problems? What about when I am in the airport re-entering the US next year, will they bring it up? ( I haven't told my parents so I don't want them to find out through the officer at the airport asking about it ).

Thanks in advance

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.


Ok, keep in mind that no one has a "right" to a visa, it is a discretionary benefit. Also keep in mind that only U.S. Citizens have a "right" to enter and not even the U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident spouses of U.S. Citizens have such a right. With that in mind, you always have to understand that your entry into the U.S. is at the discretion of the U.S.


That being said, your crime is a very minor one. Especially if it is dismissed, it should not cause you to be prevented entry into the U.S. However, you should carry with you when you travel, certified copies of the police report and the court disposition to prove what happened and that it was dismissed. Your parents don't need to find out, but you should carry those documents with you to have the fastest and easiest time of entry into the U.S.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you