How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gintare Grigaite Your Own Question
Gintare Grigaite
Gintare Grigaite, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 188
Experience:  Expert Immigration Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Gintare Grigaite is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Name change

This answer was rated:

I'm a permanent resident. I'm originally from Peru and came to this country when I was 11 years old and I'm now 34. My father made an error spelling my middle name, he wrote Pool instead of Paul. My name as shown on my permanent resident card and birth certificate is Oliver Pool Garcia and I want to fix it so it shows Oliver XXXXX XXXXX. I'm looking to also become a citizen this year and I don't know if I should fix my name before if so what is the process or if there is a form I need to fill to fix my name for the naturalization process  or am I going to need an attorney to fix the issue. Thanks for all your help

Hello, I will be happy to assist you.
Do not worry, this issue can always be fixed. Here is what I suggest. Since it appears that you are eligible for US citizenship, I would recommend fixing this issue when you file your Application for Naturalization (Form N-400). This is because naturalization allows you to change or correct your name to whichever one you want or need. Therefore, this will save you time and money, and you will be able to accomplish everything you need by filing only one application, meaning you will be able to apply for naturalization, and also change your name to the one you need. As for having a lawyer, I would highly recommend that you have one, as this will ensure that the whole process will go smoothly for you from beginning to end. Make sure to research attorneys and hire one that has experience in immigration law.
Gintare Grigaite and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I highly appreciate it.
If you will have any other questions in the future, please do not hesitate to ask me. You may begin your question with "For Gintare," and I will respond as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Truly yours,
Gintare Grigaite, Esq.