How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i find out if someone has a green card?

This answer was rated:

How can i find out if someone has a green card?

Hi, my name is Kim & I will be happy to answer your question today. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

Before I answer your question, I need some additional information.

Are the person's employer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is employed. But im not sure who with. Last I heard he was working illegally.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To be honest he owes me alot of child support. If he has a green card then there is not a lot I can do. If he is still illegal I have more chance in getting my money I think. Do immirgration care if he owes child support in his home country?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
It said i would get an answer ASAP. I didnt...still waiting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Still havent got an answer and no message to stay they needed extra time

Actually unless you're an employer and running a background check through the e-verify system you have no independent way of finding out whether he has a green card or not.

I would also caution you that, it appears that what you're suggesting is that you would blackmail this individual into paying you which is, itself, a crime.

As far as whether USCIS and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) particularly care whether someone is out of status, it would depend on the particular circumstances.

There are tens of millions of individuals who are out of status or for some reason or another and others are 'undocumented' -- while the unfortunate (and inaccurate) term used by the media and many uninformed politicians is "illegals" the fact of the matter is that a significant number of those who are 'out of status' in the United States entered legally and have lost status due to errors or omissions on either their part (they didn't renew, didn't know how to renew, etc.) or on the part of USCIS and the Department of State and not due to something that the individuals did. Yet others entered in the US illegally (properly termed "undocumented" aliens).

In recent years ICE has stepped up enforcement of certain categories of individuals who are undocumented and those who are out of status but are also a priority for some reason or another (typically due to having committed a crime in the United States). In fact we have seen more deportations actually occur in the last four years than at any time in the country's history the different being that the deportations are actually (supposedly) targeted rather than random sweeps. So, in the case of someone who is out of status, it depends on why they are out of status as to whether ICE would actually do anything about it at this point. They may well make a note of it and start a file but there may actually not be any enforcement action taken at all if the individual poses no threat or harm to the country.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How could I blackmail him? Honestly don't know how you got that idea. What I meant was that if he has a green card then he will never have to come back to his home country if he didn't want to....right? That way I would never get anything from him.If he didn't have one then I would know at some stage he would have to come home. That way the government would catch up with him . Not paying child support is a crime.

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

I am a new expert in this thread but I have some bad news for you. I confirm that there is no way for you to find out whether your child's father is here legally or unlawfully. The immigration files of all individuals are protected by the privacy act and as the previous attorney said, only an employer using the e-verify system can get information regarding the persion's authorization to be employed lawfully.

There is no way for you to get this information, although, I do agree with your reasoning. Most likely, he is and always be a deadbeat and you probably won't see any support from him. Shameful.


Please remember to rate
my service! If you feel unsatisfied with my service at all, please stop and
reply to me via the REPLY tab with the issue you have. I will be happy to
continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the EXCELLENT service you seek,
I earned a BONUS, it is appreciated.

Feel free to ask me another
question with a new thread - if you're a subscriber, you can do so at no
additional cost beyond your monthly payment. You can bookmark my profile page
here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime:

If you want to
request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer

The information
provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to
create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for
informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such
information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By
accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain
appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an
attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue
arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises
or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information
contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably
waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege
concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Judith,


Yes shameful to say the least. I can't believe America would even want him in their country. Good moral character is what they want from my understanding.


You are right, good moral character is required. In theory!


Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Judith Ludwic and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you