Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can someone with a CD-1 visa stay in the US for unpaid

Customer Question
training?...
Can someone with a CD-1 visa stay in the US for unpaid training?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/13/2012
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm happy to answer your immigration questions, and will do my best to do so based on my expertise. Please note that while you are working with me, I also will be working with several other customers, so you may experience delays. Please be patient - your questions WILL be answered in the order they are received.

Also, remember that you already have paid for your question, but that Experts do not get credit for their work unless you click ACCEPT. So please keep this in mind as we work together.

What do you mean b "stay in the US"? Are you asking if they come with a C1/D visa, they can just overstay their time in the US to train?

What are they trying to do, specifically?
We hire international employees with C1-D visas to work on cruise ships. As I understand it, this means they can only "pass-thru" to board the ship. However, we have a training program which takes two days and is non-paid that they must take before they board the ship. My question is, is this two-day training legal?
Ely, Counselor at Law