How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109324
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I married an illegal immigrant and want a divorce, but they

Resolved Question:

If I married an illegal immigrant and want a divorce, but they refuse, what can I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Excuse the simple and direct question, but why don't you file?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was under the impression that an uncontested divorce would be cheaper and easier for her. I also thought that it would cause less problems for her if she was the one to file. Are these assumptions incorrect?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Most of the assumptions are wrong. It would be cheaper and easier if it was uncontested, but it seems that you cannot come to an agreement. So you should just file and ask what you are going to ask for and negotiate before the judge. If you don't want anything, that's fine. If she wants something, then like I said, you will have to negociate that and the family court judge will make a final ruling. Also, family court doesn't normally report anything to ICE, so risk of deportation is very low. ICE doesn't have the resources to deport everyone that is deportable, so they are focused on those that have crimes in their background. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them for you without additional charge, if not, please do not forget to click ACCEPT. I am not paid a salary. Clicking accept is the only way that I can get paid for helping you. When you click accept, you are not charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. If there is a delay in getting back to you it is either because I am answering other questions or I had to log off, but I will be back with you as soon as possible. If you would like to request me in the future, just put my name on the subject line. Positive feedback for my service to you (not the state of the law as it is) is always appreciated as well as any bonus if you think I deserve it. Thank you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you