Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Married less then 4 years. Marriage was in central america.

Customer Question
3 years into marriage I...
Married less then 4 years. Marriage was in central america. 3 years into marriage I quit work and wanted to go back to the states bringing my wife. Come to states, jobless and living with my family (father,mother) with my wife. I was sponsor and my father was sponsor for wife at the time we filed for visa. Wife receives green card for 10 years and 2 weeks later she wants to leave me to visit relatives in different state. 4 months later she returns after we argue and states she may want a divorce now and wants to live with her other aunt now. I feel used regarding this whole marriage and bringing her to the states. If we do get a divorce I am sure it will be on general terms no disputes over anything (since we dont have anything) But what about the whole sponsorship thing? Will my father or I (i am still jobless) have to support her? Will she lose her green card? We came to the states in March 2, 2011 , she received green card Nov 2 2011, She left me Nov 14 2011 and just returned to me March 19. I am starting to believe she had this planned the whole time.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/26/2012
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

She will not loose her green card after all these years of marriage.

Has she asked for support?

Judith

No, she is not asking for anything, just wants to leave and live with her Aunt and get a job there and thats it. Nothing more to do with me. Whether or not her family talks her into anything, I don't know. All I know is that since I am the "gringo" They believe I have the money (regardless of me being jobless atm) and I have been saying no regarding any financial issues to her about giving her family money since day one. But she has sent them money I give her every now and then . I do not say anything.. Once I give it to her , it's hers. What about the support affidavit that I had to file? Once I came back to the states I was jobless. I had a decent "nest egg" we have been plundering down to nil to support her more then me. My father was asking me the same thing since he was the other person of support on the affidavit and he is retiring next year (age 65).

From all the activities that have occurred , It is clearly starting to come to light that I may have been duped. I was unaware of all these "family members" she had in the states and how she all of a sudden had them pick her up so she could be with them for a few weeks then come back almost as soon as we were in the states. Her last excursion of just telling me she was leaving for N. Carolina with 1 week notice that her plane ticket was already bought and her family from miami was driving all the way up to pick her up and take her to the airport was where I drew the line. I let her go, no issues. but i confronted her regarding using me for a green card a few weeks later on the phone. Time passes and now she is in NY and says she was coming back. Upon arrival she stated she is thinking about the divorce now and I cant do anything about it.

Thats fine, but I do not want any issues regarding money, alimony or whatever there maybe for myself or my father since we were the sponsors.

I don't have good news for you.

Some divorce courts hold the I0864 sponsor liable for support in the amount of the poverty level at 18,900/yr

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

You will have to have a family lawyer in your state research how the courts there are going on this.

It could be your father is on the hook with you.

Judith

If I answered your question please leave positive feedback, if I earned a BONUS, it is appreciated.

Please feel free to ask me another question with a new thread - if you're a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. You can bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-askimmigrationlaw/

If you want to request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer quickly.

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer