Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Hi There I am a resident of Des plaines IL 60616 , I am…

Hi There I am a resident...
Hi There

I am a resident of Des plaines IL 60616 , I am from india and am on H1B visa , My fiance is in F1 Visa. We wanted to get married , i was told that we will have to apply for marriage license and so on... Can some one please guide me where to go to get this and what other procedures to be followed for getting married

Any details will be appreciated
2/28/2012
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Mary M Esquire :

Hello there. You will need to apply for a marriage license from the County Clerk’s Office in the county where the wedding will occur (30 days before the wedding date is recommended -- once the license is issued you must wait 24 hours before getting married by either an ordained minister, judge, retired judge, or a public officials whose powers include solemnization of marriages. Both parties must be present when filing the application. You will each need to present photo ID when filing the application or else the application will be denied and passports with photos are acceptable but you will have to provide a local address. If the marriage license is issued from DesPlains County it can only be used there.

Mary M Esquire :

The marriage license is valid for 60 days after it is issued (you will have to have the ceremony during that 60 day period or the license will lapse).

Mary M Esquire :

To arrange a ceremony -- if you want a judge or justice of the peace to perform the ceremony, you should inquire at the DesPlains County City / COunty Clerk's office -- here is an internet link to their website: http://www.desplaines.org/

Mary M Esquire :

Once the marriage is solemnized, the person who officiated at the ceremony must return it to the county clerk's office to be entered into the county records within 30 days of the marriage ceremony and then you can get a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Mary M Esquire :

That is about everything you need to know please let me know if you have further questions

Mary M Esquire :

--MARY

Mary M Esquire :

Please press the ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU

Customer:

Hellobefore getting married by either an ordained minister, judge, retired judge, or a public officials whose powers include solemnization of marriages.

Customer:

you said teh above

Customer:

Can you please let me know

Customer:

whetehr I have to arrange them if thats teh case where can I fidn them

Mary M Esquire :

Hello again

Mary M Esquire :

If you are members of a church, the minister or rabbi or pastor of the church can do the ceremony for you

Mary M Esquire :

If not, when you pick up the marriage license, ask the clerk's office for a list of persons in the area who perform marriage ceremonies.

Mary M Esquire :

The county clerk's office can give you a list of any judges or justices of the peace who can perform the ceremony -- there will be names and telephone numbers

Mary M Esquire :

Yes, you have to arrange and pay for your own marriage ceremony -- it is not included in the marriage license

Mary M Esquire :

--MARY

Mary M Esquire :

Hello there

DO you have any further questions for me? If not can you please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON at the bottom or side of this ANSWER BOX. This is not a hobby for me, it is how I earn a living in a tough economy (I was laid off from my job -- many people think that lawyers are wealthy and that is not the case with many of us -- we all struggle along just like the next person). If you do not press accept I will never be paid anything for assisting you this evening after researching your issue and answering and interacting with you for nearly the past half an hour. Pressing accept will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as a trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time -- and I will be happy to answer additional follow up questions for you when you press the ACCEPT button below.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

--MARY

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
HI Mary

So I should call the persons from the list given by county clerks office and then should speak to them about how much I have to pay.

Here I just want to do whatever is needed as part of law because we will be getting teh actual marriage done by Hindu Tradition separately we just want to officially register thet we are married in US

Hello again

If the person who will be officiating at the Hindu ceremony is not an officially licensed person to perform legal marriages in your state, then you will have to exchange vows in front of such an officially licensed person (either a judge or a Justice of the Peace). The clerk's office can give you that list and then you telephone a few of them and find out how much they charge for the ceremony. So, you would end up having 2 ceremonies -- one at a courthouse in front of an official state person who is licensed to perform marriages in the state (and they file the marriage certificate with your town or city hall) and then you will have the second ceremony according to the Hindu tradition in front of / performed by the Hindu practitioner.

--MARY