How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an unpaid medical bill for when I was a tourist in the

Customer Question

I have an unpaid medical bill for when I was a tourist in the US. I did not give them my passport or any details about my address in my home country. The person who accompanied me to hospital gave a slightly incorrect address for where I was staying in the US to the staff at the hospital. Will this bill ever find me, when all they have is my name and date of birth? Will I be prevented from entering the US again? How long will this bill take to disappear?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 5 years ago.

What is the amount of the unpaid bill?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Around $2500
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 5 years ago.

Thank your for your response. The unpaid bill which is primarily based on a contract that you signed allows the hospital to enforce the agreement the agreement based upon the statute of limitations in the state you resided when the bill occurs. If the hospital does not file an action within that time period, the contract can no longer be legally enforced.


With an amount of $2500, it is possible that the hospital will sue to recover the charges but it will not be possible for the hospital to actually serve you the complaint if you are no longer at the same address and are out the country. Creditors have sued on less infomation and even sued the wrong person.


The risk is that process server will serve someone and claim that it is you in error. If the person served does not show up to contest or does not care, you would have a default judgement against you. The most likely result is that the process server will not be able to serve you so a default judgement would not be entered against you.


A civil judgement or debt would not have any legal effect as to your ability to return to the United States.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The bill got to the apartment block because my room-mate put the wrong apartment number, but our neighbour knowing that I had returned home out of the country and that I was only here for a few months, returned the mail to sender, saying that "person not known at this address".


I am worried that it might affect my ability to become a member of the NY State Bar as I was here taking the Bar Exam. Could it affect this?

Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response and clarification. Yes, you will absolutely need to resolve this bill with respect to your character and fitness aspect of your bar license.


The easiest solution is to contact the hospital and set up a payment plan so that you demonstrate to the Bar that you are resolving the issue in good faith as your credit report will be pulled based upon your application to the Bar.

Wilton A. Person and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Even if I have no US credit? I don't have any US bank accounts, credit cards or anything. It was an informal arrangement on a 3 month basis with which I satyed in my apartment. I was just here on an ESTA.


How will the Bar check my credit? Will it be my overseas credit?


Just to be sure.


Thank you.

Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 5 years ago.

It would part of a background check software so if there are any hits as to your name, information may pop up. Further, in most states, the applicants are required to list all liabilities and potential liabilities. There are many stories of Bar applicants who apply and do not list a liability and are refused admission to the Bar not because of the debt but because of a failure to list the debt.


You may wish to contact the NY Bar Examiners as to the credit procedures for foreign nationals although the examiners will probably not dislose the information. Therefore, you will probably be better served concentrating on ensuring that all of your bills are paid or arrangements are made to pay the bills.

Related Immigration Law Questions