Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am Canadian, my husband is a U.S. citizen. We live in Canada

Customer Question
I am Canadian, my husband...
I am Canadian, my husband is a U.S. citizen. We live in Canada (he has Permanent Residency). We want to move to the U.S. What steps should we take to aquire a green card for me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/11/2011
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Will your husband have a source of income in the US?

Judith

Yes, he has his pension and social security. I have my own $'s and am able to support myself (he's 77, I'm 69).

Thank you.

He would file an I-130 petition for you. It will take approx 3-5 months for it's approval. Then you will begin the immigrant visa processing which will take 3-5 months.

He will have to submit an Affidavit of Support insuring the government that you will not become a public charge. You may also inculde your own assets as evidence of ability to not take means tested benefits paid for by the government.

Judith

I am happy to answer follow-up questions for you at no additional cost.

If you want to request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer quickly.

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Dear Judith, thanks for your reply.

Will I have to stay in Canada once the the I-130 petition has been approved or can I still go back and forth to the U.S. as a visitor (we have Nexus)? We usually go to Yuma for four months during the winter.

Once the I-130 is filed you are considered an intending immigrant and you will need to show evidence of your intent to return, such as your maintaining your residence in Canada, utility bills, auto registration and insurance there in Canada and your bank accounts.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer