How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

whats next after I-130 has been approved and the beneficiary

Resolved Question:

whats next after I-130 has been approved and the beneficiary resides in US
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience....what is the relationship of the petitioner to the beneficiary? husband/wife? parent/child? when was the I-130 filed? how long has the person been in the u.s.?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the petitioner is the husband. wife has been in US for 12 years! I-130 was applied in 2009 and approved on the 6th april!
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
did the wife enter on a visa? if so, what kind of visa? Is the husband a u.s. citizen?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She had a visitor visa and husband has permanent residency. She came in legally!
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
finally, how long has husband been a permanent resident??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since 2009, july to be exact
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
I hope the lawyer also told her even if she waits for a visa number to become available (which is correct by the way), that it is now taking 4 years from the date the I-130 was filed. once the visa number is XXXXX then she can adjust status, but BIG problem, she cannot do it in the u.s. because she is not in status right now. she is an overstay and marriage to a u.s. citizen is the only way for her to adjust status in the u.s. as an overstay. her overstay is forgiven if her husband is a u.s. citizen. She will have to wait 3 more years to 2012 so he can get his citizenship. Once he gets is citizenship then she can file the I485, if she does it and he is not a u.s. citizen it will be denied and she will be put in removal proceedings. I cannot believe the attorney did not tell her this. you cannot adjust status in the u.s. being out of status and married to a permanent resident, you would have to leave to get a green card and then you would face a 10 year bar to re-entering the u.s. as punishment for being out of status for more than one year. So again, do not file I485 until the husband is a u.s. citizen and then all is forgiven and she gets her green card. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the wife is not out of status though, she has a current temporary protection status
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
you didn't mention that. then she can adjust when the visa becomes available. I hope that clarifies. thanks and please do not forget to click ACCEPT so that I may be paid for my time and answers. Best regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thats exactly my question actually, why would she need a visa if she is already here, been here for 12 years with TPS. Do they send her the visa in mail 2012? does she sit wait for it? wasnt he supposed to apply for the I130 along wwith I485 since she is already here legally!
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Because that is how it works. there is no why. that is the system. she can NOT get a green card being married to a green card holder immediately. she must wait for a visa number. that is the system. the only spouses that can immediately get a green card and file I485 with I130 are the ones married to u.s. citizens. You can check the visa bulletin. she is in the family category 2A, if you look at it you will see they are just taking I485 applications for people married to green card holders and these were filed in 2007.

so she has to wait for a visa to get a green card since the husband is not a u.s. citizen. I do not know how else I can explain it. I hope that helps. Kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be paid for my time and answers. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Us? she elligible for an I131
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
she can travel with tps so yes. anything else? if not, I would appreciate receiving credit and you clicking ACCEPT or else if none of my many answers I have given has been acceptable I can leave the question and if someone else wants to help they can. thanks.
Georgetown Lawyer and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you