How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11926
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am US green card holder and would like to invite a friend

Customer Question

I am US green card holder and would like to invite a friend of mine from Ukraine to come over and visit me in the USA. Could you please explain me the process how I should do it!?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 6 years ago.
I'm happy to answer your question. If there is a delay, please be patient, as I am likely working with other customers as well.

For a friend to come visit the US, the best and only way for them to do so is to apply for a B1/B2 visitor visa for tourism. It generally allows for a 6 months stay in the US, which can then be extended, for a maximum of an additional 6 months.

Information on the B1/B2 visa, including the process that your friend must follow, can be found here:

Your friend will eventually be called to the embassy nearest to where he/she lives for an interview. If the interviewing officer believes that your friend does not have sufficient ties to Ukraine, the officer wil not approve the application for the visa.

Therefore, it is very important for your friend to provide evidence of their ties to their home country by showing property ownership, a rental lease, employment, dependent family members, enrollment in school, bank accounts, etc. The more evidence your friend has to show ties to their home country, the more likely that your friend will be approved for the visa. Your frend should also be able to show that he/she has enough money to be able to supprt him/herself while visiting the US.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we Experts get credit for working on your questions. Rest assured that your question will not close, and you can still ask related follow-up questions.

Also consider leaving me a BONUS and some positive feedback - both are much appreciated.

Thank you!
Expert James and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your quick and detailed answer on the question.
I already knew all the information that you gave me, but I am interested in some details. For example: when I lived in Ukraine, my parents sent me invitational letter from the USA and I was going to the embassy with this letter. That's why I am wondering is there is any possibility to send to my friend in Ukraine some kind of invitation that could prove that he is going to visit me and he was invited by me.
Expert:  Expert James replied 6 years ago.
Yes, of course! Invitation letters are always useful, although not required. In the letter, you should outline the kinds of things you and your friend plan to do while they are visiting the US, inform the USCIS where your friend intends to stay while in the US, cities you intend to visit, etc. As much detail as you can provide would be helpful.

Again, these are not required, but they certainly are encouraged.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please consider leaving me a BONUS. You can do so by going to the same answer for which you originally clicked "ACCEPT." The "ACCEPT" button should now be an "ADD BONUS" button. Any amount is much appreciated!

Thank you!