Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

hello, I need to write a letter of recommendation for a friend.

Customer Question
He will be siling for...
hello, I need to write a letter of recommendation for a friend. He will be siling for citizenship, and I need to vouche for his good moral character since he had a DUI. can you please provide me with a sample letter?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/21/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience.

I'm curious. You asked several questions on this site, I saw experts take time and go into a lot of detail and provide good answers, yet you never accepted. We do not get paid for our time if a customer does not 'accept", maybe you did not know that..
oh sorry about that, I thought the monthly fee included unlimited questions. I giess i wasnt wrong, I apologize. can you please help me with my question thought?
yes, a lot of people don't realize that so I don't judge before I ask. Well there is no sample letter but the points you need to make are:

Your name
Your age
Your legal status in this country
Your relationship to this person
How long you have known this person
Examples of his character - a personal story you may have that shows what a good person he is
end the letter by saying that like many people he is not perfect and made one mistake in his life but he has learned his lesson and has not been in any trouble since then. In your opinion he is an asset to this country and will be a contributing member of society.

You will have to file form I-130 family petition (you file), I-485 Adjustment of status/green card (she files), I-765 work authorization (he files), I-864 Affidavit of support (you file) and forms G-325A for you both. You can view all these forms, instructions and supplemental evidence needed for these forms at www.uscis.gov. Once the forms are filed, it will take 30-90 days for hers to get work authorization which she can use to go get her social security number and drivers license. The green card itself will take 6-8 months to obtain. If she needs to travel after you have filed I-485 also file I-131 Advance Parole with all of these applications because if she travels after filing I-485 it is considered abandoned. I-131 allows her to return to resume processing the green card upon her return, as if she never left.

Once the green card/permanent resident card is issued it will be a 2 year conditional green card, the condition is that the marriage lasts 2years from the date the green card was granted. 1yr and 9mos later (or 3 months before the green card expires) you need to file form I-751 to remove the condition, at which time it becomes a permanent green card. After marriage of 3 years and having her green card, she would be eligible for U.S. citizenship. I would suggest you consult with a local attorney to discuss the details of your case. You can find one at www.ailalawyer.com and they can tell you their fees and you can decide if it is reasonable. Each attorney has their own fee.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
im sorry I shoudve been more clear. he already has a greencard, he's actually ready to file for citizenship, he lived in the states for 5 years. but the lawyers wants a letter of recommnedation from me since im a close friend to vouche for his moral character since he has a DUI on his record. but I'm not sponsoring him. I couldnt find sample of that letter of recommendation anywhere on the internet.
ah ok got it now :) thanks
sorry your answer and the answer to another question got meshed together. the top half was for you.

Well there is no sample letter but the points you need to make are:

Your name
Your age
Your legal status in this country
Your relationship to this person
How long you have known this person

If you have nothing further and now that you are aware we are not paid unless you click the accept button, I hope you will accept and give credit/payment for the answer. thanks and kind regards.
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer