How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I stop the immigration process of someone that I agreed

Customer Question

How do I stop the immigration process of someone that I agreed to sponsor, but no longer want to?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience.

who is the person?
what kind of visa are they applying for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My boyfriend is Indian - born and raised in the US. I am white - also born and raised in the US. We have been dating for a year, and plan to get married. His mother has other ideas. She promised family friends over in India that my boyfriend would marry their daughter, and this girl just came over to the US in the last week or so. My boyfriend had called the US Embassy in India to try and stop it, but didn't get anywhere. The girl doesn't want to be here. Now his parents are saying that he has to sponsor her and possibly marry her for 6mos so she can get residency. I said that's fraud, and I believe a felony. So, we want to know how he can stop this immigration process and let her go back to India. And if that occurs, would her family in India know any of the details? (because apparently it would be a huge family disgrace)
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
so has your boyfriend in fact filed a petition for her? IF so, what kind of petition? K-1 fiance visa?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. The family has an immigration lawyer, and he called the lawyer today and told him not to send any of the papers. Right now she's only here on a B2 visa(?)I believe.
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Ok, then no issue. Your boyfriend simply has to not sign any of the papers. They cannot file the petition if he does not sign. Even if he has signed he can always write a letter to uscis that he is withdrawing his petition and also he should not attend the interview. It is quite simple at this point to stop the process. Your boyfriend just should not participate, they cannot do it without him. So again, don't sign....if signed already, write letter to uscis withdrawing the petition and do not attend the interview. He would have to attend the interview with her in order for her to get the green card. So it's easy to stop the process at this point.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
Georgetown Lawyer and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Just a quick follow-up.....
1. Where exactly do we send the letter to the USCIS? Particular address, dept., etc
2. What type of response will be generated by the USCIS? Will she (ie. Her family) be given documentation that he stopped the process, or will it just be a blanket generic statement that the green card was denied? There are some cultural issues at stake, and that is the reason for my asking.
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Sure, no problem. The letter is sent to the address where the petition is being filed. The response generated by them is to send a letter that they are closing the case. The letter is sent to him as the petitioner and not to her. There is no denial of the green card because the case is not going for a decision, he is withdrawing his petition so there is no denial involved. I hope that helps to clarify. Thanks and best regards.

Related Immigration Law Questions