Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  My law firm practices immigration law.
635143

If a person is illegally working in this country for a company

Customer Question

If a person is illegally working in this country for a company that is performing fraud, can this person be deported.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Law Girl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information.

Law Girl :

Yes, this individual may be deported. However, the reality of deportation and immigration enforcement in this country right now is that it may take a while, after this information is reported to ICE (the department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to do anything about the matter.

Law Girl :

Many times deportation is more plausible or timely if the individual in question ends up in police custody for some other reason and then ends up being transferred to the custody of immigration officials.

Customer:

Since this fraud is a UCC contract law civil and not criminal matter it will be hard to get the police involved unless somehow this person is caught red handed by the police performing some criminal act.

Law Girl :

Then the best that can happen is reporting this persons illegal presence in the US and taking steps to create a record of what this person is doing. To the extent that this person would try to legalize their status, immigartion officials will look at court records and such in determining whether to grant immigration applications.

Customer:

I guess baiting/luring the person into a criminal act would be the only psuedo plausible way to get the police and then ICE involved. Most of this type of acts is shady at best and would be best left up to a third party such as a private investigator.

Customer:

Since many illegals will not have reasonable legal photo ID with them at any time, how can I be sure who this person really is? The language barrier may be overcome through a legal translator but I have seen the police bauk at enformce when language is involved.

Customer:

Any suggestsion?

Customer:

I am having a hard time typing today with this GUI interface going off of the screen.

Law Girl :

Remember that baiting and luring someone to do something may end up with liability for the baiting person and/or give the defense of entrapment. Baiting and luring is probably not a good idea. Unfortunately, all you can do is report whatever activity you deem to be reportable. Whether the police balk at enforcement and/or language barriers is really an internal problem that will depend on the responding offer and/or detective.

Customer:

I guess my $30 dollars is up now, right?

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for all your help. At least I tried to understand the matter before acting.

Law Girl :

If you have more questions pertaining to this question, let me know.

Law Girl :

There is no "up" in helping you understand the information I have provided.