How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Georgetown Lawyer Your Own Question
Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Georgetown Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to marry a woman from Mexico and have her move to the

Resolved Question:

i want to marry a woman from Mexico and have her move to the US. what is the most expedient process for this, and what should I expect in terms of cost and time?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience.

She is still in Mexico? have you met her in person in the past 2 years? do you want to get married there or here in the u.s?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in Indiana, but I own a home in Colorado. I travel all over the world for work, about 18 countries in the last year. I do a lot of work in Mexico City and other latin american countries. We have met several times during the last year, I think I may have gone to mexico city about 8 to 10 times.

marrying in Mexico or the US is great. she is close to her family in both mexico city D.F. and Iripuato, Guanajuato. My family in in southern california. She is a psychologist and psychophysiologist, and bilingual. I am a researcher, statistician, mental health counselor, and trainer.

Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
ok, great. for the fastest results, I would recommend you get married in Mexico and then file for a K-3 visa for her to enter the u.s. as a spouse of a u.s. citizen and then she can finish the green card/permanent resident process's much faster than the fiance visa option. AS to fees you will pay for the filing fees for the forms, which you will see the fees on the forms.

So once you get married You need to file the I-130 and once you get the receipt, you file form I-129F along with the I-130 receipt. Then the National Visa Center (NVC) will collect fees, I-864 affidavit of support, and then will send file to consulate for her interview. This option takes less time because you do not have to wait for the I-130 to be approved. However, once she enters the U.S. on the K-3 visa you will then need to file forms I-485 Adjustment of Status/green card and I-765 work authorization (filing fee for both is combined at $1010) to obtain your green card.Once the forms are filed, it will take 30-90 days for her to get work authorization which she can use to go get her social security number and drivers license. The green card itself will take 6-8 months to obtain. If she needs to travel after you have filed I-485 also file I-131 Advance Parole with all of these applications because if she travels after filing I-485 it is considered abandoned. I-131 allows her to return to resume processing the green card upon her return, as if she never left.

Once the green card is issued it will be a 2 year conditional green card, the condition is that the marriage lasts 2years from the date the green card was granted. 1yr and 9mos later (or 3 months before the green card expires) you need to file form I-751 to remove the condition, at which time it becomes a permanent green card. After marriage of 3 years and having his green card, she would be eligible for U.S. citizenship. I would suggest you consult with a local attorney to discuss the details of your case. You can find one at and they can tell you their fees and you can decide if it is reasonable. Each attorney has their own fee.

I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I receive credit for answering your question. I will be happy to reply to a follow up on this issue at no extra cost. Your Positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to request me in the future type "TO GEORGETOWNLAWYR" in the subject line and if I am not online I will answer asap. Thanks and best regards.
Georgetown Lawyer and 4 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you