How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wilton A. Person Your Own Question
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4147
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Wilton A. Person is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What I need to do to bring my mother here, at USA. I am a sitizen,

Customer Question

What I need to do to bring my mother here, at USA. I am a sitizen, now. I am living in USA almost 10 years and have daughter 8 years old. She was born in the USA. I am divorced. Have been married with american man. Would like to get information about what I need to do, to bring my mother from Ukraine here to stay with me.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 7 years ago.

Now that you are a citizen, it is fairly easy process to bring your mother from the Ukraine to the United States as a permanent resident of the United States. As a citizen, your petition for your mother would be current as your immediate relative which means that your mother could obtain an immigrant visa fairly quickly without an extended waiting period.


The process is outlined briefly below:


Immediate Relative petition- You would file the I-130 in the United States and the approved I-130 would be forwarded to a US Consulate in the Ukraine for processing. Your mother would complete the application, have an interview, and if approved, she would enter the US as a lawful permanent resident of the United States.


The USCIS form I-130 is found at under forms. You may retain an attorney to assist you but if you have the time and follow the instructions that the National Visa Center sends you very carefully, you should be able to file the application yourself although it would be a good idea to have an attorney at least review your application prior to submission and to assist with the US Consulate in the Ukraine if necessary.



Wilton A. Person and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now, please tell me , if she will stay with me in US could I get some financial and health help for her. I am receiving a food stamps now and also astudent. I can not wark a full time now; and my mother she was born at 1948 and I would like she will stay at home.
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 7 years ago.

Yes, your mother would be eligible for any and all financial aid that lawful permanent residents are eligible to receive. She would have the option to buy into the Medicare health insurance after residing in the US for five years.


If you are not able to work at this time, you would need a joint sponsor who meets the income requirements for the I-864 Affidavit of Support in order for your mother's application to be approved.


The joint sponsor does not need to be related to you or you mother. The person would need to be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident over the age of 18.