Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Im in the US on a visa from the UK.My visa is not one I can…

Customer Question
I'm in the US on...
I'm in the US on a visa from the UK.My visa is not one I can change status on and I would like to stay in the US.How can I get the permission to do so.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/29/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

What visa did you enter with? K? Visa Waiver? J1? If J1 are you subject to the 2 year home residency rule?

Judith

Visa waiver

Has your stay expired?

Have you married a US citizen?

Judith

My stay is good till July 26,2010. no I have not married as my boyfrend is not working, he's looking and doing odd jobs but we don't want to do any thing wrong so we're waiting till we get this figured out.

The only way you could stay in the US and file for adjustment of status and employment authorization is to marry your boyfriend (if he is a US citizen).

Having entered under the VWP, you waived your right to a removal hearing so if you stay beyond your authorized stay of 07/26 you can just be picked up and held until the US govenment arranges your transport home.

If you decide to marry and do file to remain, those forms given to you by the CIS information officer are the correct ones to file.

You have no other options but to return home if you don't marry.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Can you tell me how long I have to file all those papers.do they have to be done before we marry or what.and do we have to pay all those fees.

You would have to file before your I-94 expires.

Your filing fees would be:

$1010 for I-485/765/131

$355 for I-130

You will have to have a joint sponsor for the Affidavit of Support if your bf made less than $18.200 last year.

Judith

the I-94 being my visa.

You don't have a visa - that is a stamp in your passport you get at the US Embassy.

You should have a green Arrival/Departure Record I-94 which you completed on the airplane and then were given a portion back whyen you went through customs.

You have to apply before the expiration date on that little card in your passport.

Judith