Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Is it legal to hire an illegal immigrant (contractor) to perform…

Customer Question
Is it legal to hire...
Is it legal to hire an illegal immigrant (contractor) to perform remodeling work? When do i need to have them fill out I-9?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/29/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
It is not legal to do so. You would be fined and held personally liable as well. Being illegal, they would not have the way to properly fill out an I-9. So no, you cannot hire them. I am truly sorry.
I guess my question was ill-formed. What if an illegal immigrant opened a remodeling business (sole proprietor) and I have them do remodeling work for me? I'd like to have a list of steps i need to take to correctly protect myself?
You still count not hire them. I mean the reality is that due to it most likely be a one-shot deal, your exposure to some type of prosecution or fine would be very minimal. The government wants to go after big fish, not the little guy. But there is no way to 100% protect yourself other than not hiring them.
By "protect myself", i want to know what type of document i need the business owner to show me, what kind of questions I should to ask to identify illegal immigrants. I know very little about immigration laws, i don't want to be fooled.

I thought I9 will do the trick in the case that if they can provide the documents listed on I9, they are legal. However, it seems I9 does not apply to hiring an independent contractor. Also, i mean, i've never heard of a customer asking to see a business owner's passport before the business does the remodeling work.

Anyone can fill out an I-9. Here is a link to it, but look at the last page and you will see an entire list of what they would have to show you:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=31b3ab0a43b5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD