Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

this question is for Eli. hello again. I was wondering if i…

this question is for Eli...
this question is for Eli. hello again. I was wondering if i would be able to move to mexico and stay there with my wife while the process finishes at immigration. I would take a leave of absence from work for a few months. Can i do this or would it hurt the process. thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello there,Actually yes, since you are only the petitioner and not the alien, you can indeed move to Mexico and wait with your wife. :)

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

PS Don't forget to UPDATE YOUR ADRS WITH USCIS!!!!
it wont hurt the paperwork about how much money i make and them needing to see my check stubs since i wont be working here during the rest of the process? thank you
Are you going to work while in Mexico?
I will look for work and I hope to find some employment. I have money saved if I dont find employment but I speak very little spanish, very little lol. My wife speaks english.
Oh boy, well then that could be a problem. The USCIS officer CAN question how your income will continue when you get back. Remember, your application is based on financial sponsorship as well, and you cut your income off if you move to Mexico. I assumed you had a job waiting. If not, then don't - that might have them reject it based on unqualified finances since you wouldn't be employed when you get back. :\
I would be employed when I get back because I would take a leave of absence for FMLA. Would this change anything?
FMLA only allows 12 weeks of unemployment a year. What if they are still processing afterwards? Too many ifs here.
Ely, Counselor at Law
I understand. Thank you for your help Eli. I much appreciate all your help.
Very welcome. I am sorry I could not provide the answer your sought.

I received my appointment notice to go have my biometrics taken on october 26th. About how long after this will it be before they approve us. And about how long will it be before my wife receives her appointment notice for her visa in juarez?

Thank You

After biometrics, it can be another 2-4 months or so, so it is hard to say. Once the approval comes through, the paperwork will be in your mail shortly after, however.
Ely, Counselor at Law
I will go to be with her for christmas from december 23 to january 15th or so with the vacation i have accumulated. I was thinking of staying after this until i can bring her back with me and have approval from my company. Do you see any problem with this and should i make preparations in anyway for anything for this?
I will go to visit my wife for christmas in mexico actually from december 17th to about January 20th. and if the process has not finished by this time i will wait in mexico with her until the process finishes. I already have approval from my company to do this. Do you forsee a problem with this and is there anything i need to do before i go to insure all goes well with immigration?
Hello there,As long as your income is continuing and you simply took a few weeks off to visit her and then come back up with her, then that should NOT be a problem. No other precautions than a letter from work affirming what you are doing and your US Passport, and you should be okay. :)